Finding wallpaper removal services for your home in Toronto is difficult. Getting someone to do it at an affordable price is almost impossible. For some reason, most contractors despise removing wallpaper. For the few house painters that specialize in it, this is a high demand service.
We Actually Love Removing Wallpaper!
How hard can it be? You cover the floors, wet the surface and start peeling. Not exactly, most wall coverings don’t come off that easy. It takes hours of hard work while being careful not to damage the walls. That’s the main reason contractors avoid it and prefer to have someone else do it for them.
Ecopainting uses a liquid solution that works much better than any other product out there. This amazing solution is derived from natural materials such as clay, starch, and wheat. It has no odour, and unlike other commercial brands, it can be used without gloves, eye protection, or room ventilation. This product satisfies our environmental products policies. Before quoting any job, we perform a small sample test to evaluate the difficulty. Depending on the test, we may suggest a fixed price or a time and materials quote. Whichever way you decide to proceed, you can be sure that Ecopainting is the right painting contractor for the job.
“Thanks for transforming my 1980s floral wallpaper bedroom!” I can always count on you to do a superb job, even when encountering un-removable wallpaper.”
Brighid Thomson, customer in Unionville – Markham.
Why should you remove the wallpaper?
Removing wallpaper is a tedious, messy and sometimes expensive process. Despite all that, many customers want it removed, why is that?
- Despite a mild comeback, wallpaper is not as popular as it used to be. With all new paint colours and finishes, today’s homeowners prefer decorating with paint.
- Most of the wallpaper on walls right is old and makes a home decor look aged. Removing it and decorating with paint (or new wallpaper) will modernize the home.
- When the wallpaper is not in great condition it’s time to remove it. Scratches, holes, peeling corners or just dirt and stains are easier to remedy on painted walls.
- Paint will brighten a room up and make it look bigger. This is especially true in rooms with a lot of architectural detail such as trim, wainscotting and bulkheads.
- Artwork never looks good on wallpaper unless it has a simple design. Patterns and colours will take away the attention that a good piece of art should command.
- Simplify your living space. Walls full of intricate and colourful patterns make for busy looking rooms. Sometimes after a busy day at work, you want to come home to a space that will help you wind down.
- Old wallpaper is a sign of stale decor and a reminder of years gone by. What was good then is now outdated and needs your attention. Bringing your walls up to date will give your home an unbelievable boost.
- Increase your home’s real estate value. Your decor and your favourite wallpaper will not appeal to the taste of most home buyers. Realtors and stagers will often suggest removing old wallpaper and decorate your home in neutral colours. Considering the price of real estate in Toronto this will bring a big return on your investment.
Hiring The Right Contractor
This is a major expense for most homeowners. Why not invest some time and find the best contractor for your needs. Not all painters have the experience, and systems to remove wallpaper without damaging your walls and property. Ecopainting has been servicing Toronto homes for over 20 years. We have seen and removed all kinds of wallpaper, as unique grasscloth, or as stubborn as tin foil. Before we start working, your floors, furniture and belongings are covered with clean drop cloths and plastic.
“We bought a house in the city that had wallpaper in every room. The best thing we did was to call Ecopainting to help us remove it before moving in. They worked hard every day until every piece of wallpaper was off. We ended up asking them to patch and paint the walls as well. Great job crew!” Steve S. Riverdale Toronto.
Here is some information about the preparation work for removing wallpaper.
The Cost of Wallpaper Stripping
You understand it takes time to do it right and protecting walls and furniture takes even longer. But what is the average cost of removing wallpaper? Every job is different and it depends on the following factors:
- The type and age of the wallpaper.
- The size of the rooms.
- The amount of prep work the installer did.
- The condition of the walls after removal.
- Where is it? For example stairways are difficult to reach and so are the walls behind toilets or laundry appliances.
In our experience, a very basic removal project costs between $1.50 to $2 per square foot of wallpaper. More difficult paper such as grasscloth, will be closer to $3 per square foot.
A good sized kitchen or an average bedroom would cost about $600 to $800.
Larger rooms and stairways should be closer to $1,000. The cost of painting afterwards will be affected by the amount of patching, prep-work and priming. As you can imagine, there is too much unpredictability involved here. Some homeowners prefer that a painter charges them a time and materials rate. Communication before and during the process goes a long way in ensuring a pleasant customer experience.
Other factors affecting the difficulty and pricing
- Dry strip paper is easier to remove and likely cheaper. However, it leaves more glue residue behind and it needs to be removed.
- Plaster walls in good condition have a harder surface and are easier to work with. Drywall exposed to warm water and gets softer and damages easier. Especially in newer homes with fewer paint jobs.
- Be open minded to what the painters will suggest. For example, priming and painting over certain wall coverings may be a good option. Maybe re-drywalling the area is a better value.
Call 416 733-7767 to request a wallpaper removal estimate in the Greater Toronto Area. At Ecopainting we always have your best interests at heart with every project we take.
This page was last updated on March 21 2017.